Monday, November 23, 2015

Tomato Thokku

My mom makes this thokku for us every time she comes to Singapore, and it lasts for a long time even after she has returned to India. So recently I started to make this tomato thokku for my hubby every time I go to India on long vacations.  This is a quick and easy to make, and goes well with almost everything like rice, chapathi, dosai, idly, etc. I have made this so many times now, that hubby claims my recipe is better than my mom’s J  The trick is to make it really spicy and add more oil ;) 


Tomato Thokku
Ingredients:
5 tomatoes - chopped finely.
1 teaspoon - red chilli powder,
2 teaspoon - sambar powder,
1 teaspoon - ginger garlic paste,
1/2 teaspoon - turmeric,
1 teaspoon- fenugreek powder,
2 teaspoon – salt (or as required)

Method:
  • In a kadai, temper - mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida.
  • Add the tomatoes along with the rest of the ingredients. Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes, keep stirring.
  • Then reduce flame and let it cook until oil oozes out. Stir at constant intervals to avoid burning.
  • Store in a dry container, after cooling completely.
NOTE: The thokku keeps well for 4 weeks if refrigerated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment