Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Channa Cutlet

During the weekend one of our friends made a surprise visit to our home. I wanted to make something for evening snacks. This particular friend prefers Indian food to baked goods. So I was mentally ruffling through all the snack recipes that I could make. And then, decided on making some cutlets. I have tried cutlets previously and failed miserably.  So I wanted to try something simple, with the ingredients I had at hand.



My mom gave me some recipe books when I got married and moved to Singapore. I refer to them from time to time. So now I searched for one of them and found a good and simple recipe for Channa cutlets.

Usually the channa has to soak overnight. But since I didn’t have time to prepare ahead, I soaked the channa in hot water inside my hot pack. I kept changing the hot water every hour or so, and it was good to go within 3 hours.

Then I made the patties and stored them in the freezer, until my guests arrived. I fried and served them hot with ketchup. And our friends really enjoyed it. It was a treat for all of us, since I don’t usually make deep fried foods often.  My husband and his friend were leaving to go play some games with their other guy friends. So I packed some cutlets for the other guys too. But turns out the hubby and his friend finished half of the cutlets in the car on the way to the games. Hahaha, anyway that just goes to say how good these cutlets are.


Channa Cutlets:
Ingeriendts:
Channa – 1 cup
Potato - 2 Medium
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Garlic – 8 pieces
Green chilli – 4
Onion – 1
Coriader – 1 handful
Lemon Juice – 1 tablesp
Garam Masala – 2 teasp
Oil – for frying
Salt – as needed
Maida – 3 table sp
Bread crumbs – 1 cup

Directions: 

·         Soak channa for 5-6 hours.
·         Pressure cook the channa and potatoes for 10 minutes, and mash them well.
·         Cut the ginger, garlic, onion, green chillies and the coriander very finely.
·         Mix the lemon juice, garam masala, and salt, maida along with the onion, green chilli, ginger, garlic and coriander.
·         Mix the mashed channa and potatoes along with everything else.
·         Make into small patties.
·         Dip the patties in some maida mixed with water, and roll in bread crumbs.
·         Deep fry until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment